In this hobby there are virtually an infinite number of combinations of equipment. This is certainly true for guiding. The examples listed here come from working installations and may be useful in setting up your specific equipment environment.
The EQ-6 is connected to an EQDIR module and then connected via a straight through cable to the computer using an RS232 port.
The EQDIR module could be located at the computer end of the cable. However, you should note that the inputs at the telescope motor control board are at 5vdc peak levels. RS232 uses plus or minus voltages generally in the 9 volt range (18 volts) plus or minus. It is a better solution to have the EQDIR adapter at the scope end of a long cable run, than at the computer. This reduces the possibility of electronic signals being induced into a 5 volt signal line and propagated to the controller board, sending potentially damaging movement signals to the mount. The RS232 interface was developed to avoid this issue. With the EQDIR module at the mount the communication between the EQDIR module and the computer uses RS232 voltage levels.
The Q-Guide camera is connected:
PHD guiding is configured with the mount “on camera” using the Q-Guide camera.
Exposure times are typically 1s. Other PHD settings are default settings.
HNSKY/CdC/SN/StarCalc —> EQMOD
Maxim –> EQMOD
EQTour –> EQMOD
PHD –>Q-Guide –> St-4 port on EQ6
· EQ6 Pro
· Homemade EQDIR adaptor
· USB Powered Hub
· 5m USB Active extension cable
· HugePine USB-RS232 converter
· 2m RS232 Extension cable
· Rumblepad II wireless gamepad.
· Desktop PC (Windows XP Pro™ SP2)
· PC PSU providing 12V supply to Mount & 5V supply to USB Hub
· B&W Philips Vesta Pro LX modified webcam for guiding
EQ6 is connected as follows:
EQ6 → RS232 extension cable → EQDIR module → RS232-USB converter →
USB hub → 5m USB Active extension cable → PC.
· Cartes du Ceil Version 3 beta 0.1.2 - planetarium
· K3CCDTools 184.108.40.2068 - capture/drift analysis/ guiding
· PHD guiding (http://www.stark-labs.com/ ) - guiding
· EQTour - for alignment star list
· EQMosaic - for CCD targeting/framing and mosaics.